Welcome to VIBUG
VIBUG, the Visually Impaired and Blind User Group, is located in Massachusetts, and serves blind and visually impaired users of computers and other assistive technology. If you'd like to know more about us, you can download our flyer, which is available as a Microsoft Word document, or a braille formatted file. We encourage you to share this flyer with people you think would be interested in our assistive technology users group.
Vibug membership registration, dues, and notices
VIBUG membership costs $20 a year and includes the following benefits.
- VIBUG email support
- online attendance at meetings
- voting rights
- special technology classes
To Become a Vibug member and join the Vibug announcements mailing list, fill out the Vibug membership form. To make a secure online payment with a credit card or your PayPal account, select the following PayPal button.
You may also join VIBUG by coming to a meeting and paying your dues by cash or check. All checks should be made payable to VIBUG. If you have any questions, please contact our treasurer Bob Resnick at email@example.com
- President: Jerry Berrier
- Vice President: Frank Ventura
- Clerk: Milissa Garside
- Web Master: Tim Cumings
- Treasurer: Bob Resnick
Notice of VIBUG Meeting
When: Saturday May 13 2017 from 1:00 to 4:00 PM
Where: MIT, 77 Mass. Avenue, building 5, room 134, Cambridge MA
Members who cannot attend in-person are welcome to participate online. We are now using TeamTalk. For instructions, go to http://www.vibug.org
and find the heading “On-Line Participation”
- Announcements and technology updates
- Technology question and answer period
- Presentations and product demonstrations
IBM researcher and VIBUG member Erich Manser will talk to us and seek our input on “Olli, the World's most accessible autonomous vehicle.”
We will hear from members of a class at MIT which is looking at using the hololens (mixed reality headset) for the visually impaired. They want to use the depth camera and indoor localization abilities of the headset to make navigating a new space easier. This project is relevant to folks with total blindness as well as those with usable vision.
Not a member yet? It’s easy to join. Visit our website at http://www.vibug.org
Current Vibug members are welcome to attend VIBUG meetings online. VIBUG is using a free online program called teamtalk. If you would like to participate live in meetings online, you must download and install the teamtalk program. There are versions for mac and pc.
- Download and install the correct version of the teamtalk installation program for your computer.
- teamtalk installation program for pc
- teamtalk installation program for mac
- If you are installing the pc version, choose the classic installation.
- If you are running Jaws as your screen reader on your pc, download the jaws teamtalk scripts from the link below. Run this file after installing teamtalk.
- teamtalk scripts for Jaws
- If this is your first time using the online option, contact Jerry Berrier, VIBUG president at firstname.lastname@example.org or Frank Ventura, VIBUG vice president, at email@example.com at least five days before a meeting to obtain the VIBUG room password file.
- Members are reminded not to share this password file with anyone. Failure to adhere to this rule will result in loss of online participation privileges.
- Once you have received this password file, place it on your desktop or in a place where you will be able to easily find it.
- To enter the Vibug chat room, run the password file. You will se a dialog that asks if you want to load the teamtalk settings. Select the "yes" radio button. This will insure that the proper settings are loaded.
- You will now be in the vibug chat room. If you want to ask a question or make a comment during the meeting, depress the left control and shift keys and hold them down until you are finished talking.
- If your audio settings are not correct and cause interference during the meeting, it will be necessary for us to disable your connection for the remainder of the meeting, so we strongly suggest that you do some testing ahead of time. We will be happy to assist with that.
- If possible, it is recommended to use teamtalk with a headset/microphone to avoid audio looping and feedback.
Check Out the VIBUG Site
helpful phone numbers
- Microsoft Accessibility phone number 1-800-936-5900
- Apple accessibility phone number 1-877-204-3930
- Comcast Accessibility phone Number 1-855-270-0379
Send questions or comments about VIBUG to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send questions or comments about this site to
Tim Cumings, our Webmaster.
last updated: Sunday, May 7, 2017